Time & Cost Planning for Projects NEW
Develop Sound Estimations for Coherent Decision Taking
More than half of projects are getting out of the limits in term of time and/or cost, resulting in all kinds of undesired results (time pressure, incoherent decisions, scope reviews …).
The origin of the issue is incorrect planning at the beginning. Root causes are multiple: incorrect definition of the scope and deliverables, over- and underestimations of workloads, insufficient consideration of risks and uncertainties and … lacking time and budget controls.
This course is based on real-life cases, which are considered with the participants under the format of exercises. Methodologies for estimation are explained as support.
Enable participants to detect and analyse hazardous planning
Increase knowledge and understanding of planning methods
Enhance capabilities of selecting and applying planning methods
Provide the rationale to invest in correct planning when needed
Provide techniques for increasing planning maturity
1. Introduction to planning
a. Forecasting issues
b. Project planning
c. Plan and control cycle
2. Symptoms of immature planning
a. Detecting symptoms in process and deliverables
b. Analysis of symptoms and mitigation
3. Scope and content of planning and its impact
4. Planning methods
a. Expert planning
b. Analogical planning
c. Analytical planning
d. Algorithmic planning
e. Parametric planning
f. Poker planning
5. Mitigation of planning results
a. Control systems and agility to act
b. Risk management and mitigation plan
6. Plan the planning and business case
• Project board members or Steering Committee members seeking guidance on project appraisal
• Project managers or PMO managers involved in financial management of projects
• Project support functions who are developing project dashboards and reports
• Basic project management methodology
Theory and concepts illustrated by a trainer with sound expertise and experience in managing cost & time planning for projects. .
Group discussions and exercises with the purpose to match the relevant cost & time planning for projects’ issues to real life experience.