Designing and Developing Services
Turning a Strategic Portfolio Element into an Operational Service Offer
Defining a service portfolio is a strategic activity of an organization that later needs to be translated into tangible service offers. Organizations must therefore select and engage numerous resources like people, tools, processes, assets, etc. to deliver these services. Balancing the offer and demand, the costs and the revenues, the efficiency and the effectiveness of a service is a fine art that needs to be carefully managed.
This course helps the organizations to understand and articulate the key components of a service and to build it in order to respond to an expected level of service ensuring that the outputs and outcomes are in line with the customer expectations. Procedures to handle exceptions or situations where the expected level is not met are also defined in this approach.
To understand how to translate a service portfolio into tangible service offering
To understand the primary financial elements of a service
To develop a customer focused approach
To identify the value and non-value adding components of a service
To present a framework for efficient and effective design and development of services
To define the operating conditions of a service and to know how to handle exceptions
1. From a service portfolio to a service offering: the need for design and development stages
2. Evolving from an engineering oriented design to a customer focused design
3. Design and development framework
a. Describe the service: gather requirements and targets
b. Define the service: value and non-value adding components
c. Develop the service: service blocks and build
d. Deliver the service: operating, maintaining and handling exceptions
4. Service financial basics for designing and developing services
5. Lessons learned in designing and developing services
• Service delivery managers and product owners in charge of assembling and building services.
• Process managers and process owners in charge of measuring the delivery of services based on defined requirements.
• Portfolio, programme and project managers involved in product or service development seeking for tools and techniques on how to design and develop services.
Theory and concepts illustrated by a trainer with sound expertise and experience in designing and developing services.
Group discussions with the purpose to match the relevant designing and developing services issues to real life experience.
Practical exercises to enhance the reinforcement of the learning objectives.